Friday, November 13, 2009

Ode to the Stove

This is Gladys. She is my new stove.

My old stove was a champion, and I had major love for it. I knew that thing inside and out, what burners worked, how you had to have the timer set exactly to 55 to make the broiler work, what temperature to put the oven gage at, knowing full well it would heat to whatever it felt like and the list goes on and on. I baked so many cakes and cookies in that old stove, and she really did everything she could for me. So much love, but at the same time, so much hate. I mean, come on, I have to set the timer (which did not work by the way) and push in the silver button to make the broiler turn on...really? It had awesome features, like a rotisserie in the aforementioned broiler, but of course that was broken. It had a center burner 'with a brain' (kept a pan at a consistent temperature by adjusting the flame on its own), and that was way cool, except that it was the only burner that actually worked most of the time. The real capper for me was that it only had one oven, and a small one at that. So imagine me making sheet cake after sheet cake, one at a time. Seriously, it was crazy.

Which brings me to Gladys. I had not really been looking, but always secretly dreamed of the day when I found a stove with more space and that just worked. It was almost like she found me when I needed her most. 2 ovens, 2 broilers, a griddle and 4 working burners. She had been with the same family since they bought her new in 1949, and let me tell you, that is the most well cared for oven I have ever seen. None of the (non-functioning) bells and whistles of my old stove, but beautiful and dependable.

So here's to many memories with Gladys (named after my Grandma by the way). We're still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship and learning things about each other - like the fact that she can actually keep heat in the oven because the doors shut, so I have to lower my baking temps a little. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship...

No comments:

Post a Comment