Monday, November 16, 2009

Murdoch the Train

What you've never heard of him? Couldn't be because most kids are so obsessed with Thomas the Train that they often over look his fleet of steamy friends. But not the 3 year old that this cake was for, Gus.
Now Gus doesn't just like trains, he lurrrrrves trains! You should see the collection of trains he has, it is crazy! His parents literally keep a spread sheet to keep track of what they have already, what they need, and what they have waiting in the wings. When my daughter comes over to play, the first thing he asks is if she brought him a train present. This kid likes trains so much that his dad made him a train for Halloween (and not that generic crap you buy at the store - oh no - he had a full on train built around him) and mom actually dressed up like railroad crossings. Now that's commitment! But I digress...
While Gus tolerates Thomas, his real love is for all of Thomas' friends. Almost as though Thomas is his competition for said train friends, or *gasp* he believes himself to be Thomas! Either way, I knew that just showing up with a Thomas cake was not going to cut it. His current obsession has been with Murdoch (which he got for potty-training, pun intended!), so Murdoch it was.
And his face was priceless when he saw this big train, covered in frosting, just for him. The wonderment in his eyes, of how he could play with and eat this train all at the same time. Happy Birthday to a very special little guy!

5 comments:

  1. Hi. My son is obsessed with Thomas and Friends too. He wants a murdoch cake and I googled not expecting to find anything. this is exceptional!! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much anonymous poster!! If you lived in Los Angeles, we could work something out, as I don't think he would ship well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, actually I'm in Auckland, New Zealand so it would probably just be crumbs by time it got here. I think I will attempt the swiss roll/lamington version and try to cover it with orange icing : ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best advice I can give is HAVE FUN! Party goers love a good mom-made cake, so I'm sure it'll be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely cake!! My seven year old also wanted a Murdoch! Another fan from New Zealand!

    ReplyDelete